Wednesday 19 May 2010

Alexander McQueen Revisited

To try and determine whether or not this journey of blog posts worked, I decided to take a look at the first designer that I chose to look at – Alexander McQueen. As his work was the most controversial, I thought the best way was to revisit his work and look at it with a fresh mind. Also, his last collection had been unveiled after the post I first made and I love some of the pieces from that collection.

His last collection was fantastic, and I’m not just saying that because he’s now dead. It’s beautiful, intricate, outlandish and very regal. I love the gold stitching and the different shapes. I love the full-length gowns. I think it’s such a shame it’s a half collection, it would have been incredible to see as a full-blown show. He would have had praise indeed for this collection I believe. And I really want one of the dresses.

Looking again at his S/S 2010 Collection I love the harsh print combined with the femininity of the fabric and the cut. It’s so flouncy yet tough. It’s princess meets warrior. Girl meets Alien. I love the shapes, the cut of the dresses showing off every curve of the female form. I love how intricate it all is, just like his last collection. There isn’t one thing I don’t like, and even the hair doesn’t bother me this time…

His A/W 2009 Collection is the same. I love it. I love the Cruella Deville aspect, the femininity of the shapes yet again, and the make up only adds a bit of humour to my day. She’s like a woman who doesn’t care where she’s going; she always wants her lipstick on, and plenty of it.

Looking back to S/S 2009 I didn’t mention this collection before but the prints are again, similar to S/S 10, and I adore it all. My favourite is the strapless silk dress with a brown leather corset. It’s so cute, manly and feminine at the same time. Gorgeous for showing off a woman’s figure. I also love the shoes. I love what Alexander McQueen does with his accessories. He takes something very unusual and makes his clothes that little bit more exciting. The see through plastic shoes moulded to the shape of the model’s foot is great. It’s like a very fancy pop sock. And I don’t know why I like it but I do. Plus Alexander McQueen came out at the end of the S/S 09 show dressed as a rabbit – pure genius.

I’m so pleased this journey has worked, because going back over one designer that I started out with I can see the collection from a fashion writer’s point of view and what the story behind the fashion is.

Sorry I didn’t really appreciate you till now, Rest In Peace x

No comments:

Post a Comment