Wednesday 19 May 2010

Commes Des Garçons - Like the Boys, Like the Fashion


The inspiration for looking at this last designer was because of a post made by my tutor regarding my first blog entry. It said that she expects me in head-to-toe Commes Des Garçons by the end of this. Well, we’re almost to the end and I can say, not my favourite of them all, but I like what Rei Kawakubo’s done. The A/W 10 Show was full to bursting (literally) with fabrics taken one step too far and made lumpy. Some showed off the beauty of the female curves, but I enjoyed the crazy nature of the clothes going down the runway. My favourite thing about Commes Des Garçons is that it’s not what it seems at first. The puffed out silver knee-length shorts are actually made from a very soft fabric. Dolly Jones says in her catwalk report for Vogue how wonderful it is that you can never work out what the fabric is at first. You think it’s one thing, and then it turns out to be something new and something different.

The A/W 09 show has some great tailored options. The coats are so far from the norm it’s brilliant. There are all shapes and sizes and cuts and each defies the laws of a natural coat. This is what Rei Kawakubo does; she takes something, puts a new spin on it and gets everyone thinking. It’s very fresh, real and like nothing that anyone else can come up with.

Perhaps the thing I love most about the Commes Des Garçons shows I’ve seen is the candyfloss hair from S/S 09. It’s very Marie Antoinette gone a little crazy but I love it. It really offsets from the black mannish tailoring. Although the hair is quite what you’d call feminine, it adds something crazy to the singular black colour. My other favourite, which you might smack your foreheads for, is, the pink chiffon used in A/W 08. It’s amazing. I love the red too, don’t worry! The romance and lace theme used throughout and the cut out lips and hearts is done not so girly that I’d want to buy it right now, but more like rebel romance. My eye is still drawn to a bit of a pink dress, but at least it’s a Commes Des Garçons one!

So you won’t necessarily find me head to toe in Commes Des Garçons, maybe just waist to knee, or hip to shoulder. I think I’ll always be too much of a girly girl to get away with (or choose to wear) mannish tailoring, I like showing off my curves, but I’m certainly going to be taking a peep at what Rei Kawakubo comes up with in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment