Tuesday 11 May 2010

Vivienne Westwood for Queen


I’ve always been a massive fan of Vivienne Westwood jewellery, and my university friends even bought me a gorgeous orb necklace in red and silver for my 21st birthday. I love the logo, it’s cute and it looks great around my neck… But it got me thinking as to why I haven’t moved into her clothing collections.

My guess is that all I would be able to afford would be the jewellery at the moment, and to not torture myself with what I’d then want but wouldn’t be able to get.

So I set out on having a look at her collections. I like what I see. I like the Britishness surrounding everything. I love her recent collection. It’s very Suffragette meets French Man, meets the cast of Oliver and My Fair Lady. I probably love it because it’s a new twist on a classic and I am a big fan of earlier than vintage dresses. Anything from when ladies wore gowns everyday is a huge hit in my book and I love the intricacy of women’s clothing.

I love the layers and layers of clothes, now used as a style statement, but previously used for the practical purpose of keeping warm. One of my favourites of the collection is the pink and purple 20’s dress, with slouched stockings, long black velvet gloves with fans for the fingers, a 20’s hairstyle and manly face make-up. It reminds me of a scene pulled straight out of Chicago the Musical, with Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly; particularly when (in the film) Catherine Zeta-Jones bends down to pick up her papers, to show her ripped stocking to Renée Zellweger.

It also reminds me of Miss Hannigan from Annie, with her baggy stockings. I’ve got to say, I don’t quite understand the manly make-up and why exactly it fits in. Maybe it’s to offset any femininity in the clothing. Maybe it’s just for comedy value. I don’t dislike it, it adds a little something, but I just can’t quite pinpoint what.

It’s a mismatch, a hotch potch of colours, fabrics, and prints, and at the end, all the models behind Vivienne Westwood are like an army of regular people, just showing off their wares.

I love it

And I didn’t once think, “I’d never wear that…”

Proud?

No comments:

Post a Comment